Our faculty are active contributors to scholarship and education in our field. Below we highlight individual faculty's non-PubMed publications, book chapters, media coverage, presentations and more.
For PubMed publications, see the individual faculty member's faculty profile.
Book Chapters and Invited Reviews
- Cheng, S.-Y., Tchantz, W., Sung, M.-S., and Dalbey, R. E. (1992) "Sec-dependent and Sec-independent Mechanisms of Protein Insertion into Bacterial Membranes" Proceedings of the 25th Jerusalem Symposium on Quantum Chemistry & Biochemistry, Membrane Proteins: Structures, Interactions and Models, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Netherlands, pp383-390.
- Jarzynka, M. J. and Cheng, S.-Y. (2005) “Platelet-derived Growth Factor-B (PDGF-B) and Pericyte Recruitment.” Microvascular Research: Biology and Pathology, Elsevier Science & Technology Books, pp117-120.
- Hu, B. and Cheng, S.-Y. (2009) “Mechanisms of Angiogenesis in Brain Tumors” Chapter 21 in CNS Cancer, Models, Prognostic Factors and Targets, Editor, Van Meir, E., Human Press, Springer Science & Business Media, NY; pp461-506.
- Hu, B. and Cheng, S.-Y. (2009) “Angiopointin-2: Development of Inhibitors for Cancer Therapy” Current Oncology Reports, 11(2)111-116. PMID: 19216842; PMCID: PMC2867109.
- Li , M.-F., Li, J., Ding, X., He, M. and Cheng, S.-Y. (2010) “MicroRNA and Cancer” The AAPS Journal, 12(3):309-17 [Epub ahead of print on April 28, 2010] PMID: 20422339; PMCID:PMC2895440.
- Liu, K.-W., Hu, B. and Cheng, S.-Y. (2011) “Platelet-derived Growth Factor Receptor Alpha in Gliomas: A Bad Seed in Glial Cells” Chinese J of Cancer, 30(9):590-602; PMID: 21880180; PMCID: PMC3543696.
- Liu, K.-W., Hu, B. and Cheng, S.-Y. (2011) “Platelet-derived Growth Factor Signaling in Human Malignancies” Editorial, Chinese J of Cancer, 30(9):581-584; PMID:21880178; PMCID: PMC3524704.
- Hu, B., Symons, M., Salhia, B., Fortin, S.P., Tran, N.L., Rutka, J., and Cheng, S.-Y. (2012) "Rho GTPases and Their Activators, Guanine Nucleotide Exchange Factors (GEFs): Their Roles in Glioma Cell Invasion” in Signaling Pathways and Molecular Mediators in Metastasis, Editor, Alessandro Fatatis; Human Press, Springer Science & Business Media, NY; pp143-169.
- Huang, T., Alvarez, A., Hu, B. and Cheng, S.-Y. (2013) “Noncoding RNAs in Cancer and Cancer Stem Cells” Chinese J of Cancer, 32(11):582-93; PMID:24206916; PMCID: PMC3845549.
- Cheng, S.-Y., Yan, L. and Zhang, W. (2011) “Outstanding young Chinese scholars making an impact in the US and China: a joint award program of the US Chinese Anti-Cancer Association and the US National Foundation for Cancer Research” Chinese J of Cancer, 30(6):357-362, Epub: 2011-6-1
- Cheng, S.-Y., Yan, L. and Zhang, W. (2012) “Five outstanding young Chinese scholars received the Third Scholar Award from the Asian Fund for Cancer Research (AFCR) and the US Chinese Anti-Cancer Association (USCACA)” Chinese J of Cancer, 31(10):457-462, Epub: 2012-9-17
- Hou, L., Yan, L., Zhang, W., Wang, M.Y. and Cheng, S.-Y., (2013) “Four Outstanding young Chinese scholars received the 2013 Scholar Award of the US Chinese Anti-Cancer Association and the US National Foundation for Cancer Research” Chinese J of Cancer, 32(12):631-335.
- Zhang, W. Cheng, S.-Y., Hou, L.-F., Yan, L. Tong, Y.-G., (2014) “Genomics in personalized cancer medicine and its impact on early drug development in China: report from the 6th Annual Meeting of the US Chinese Anti-Cancer Association (USCACA) at the 50th ASCO Annual Meeting.” Chinese J of Cancer, 33(8):371-375.
- Zhang, W., Hou, L.-F., Yan, L., Zhang, W., Wang, M.Y., Cheng, S.-Y., (2014) “The US Chinese Anti-Cancer Association and the National Foundation for Cancer Research recognize five young Chinese investigators with the 2014 USCACA-NFCR Scholar Awards.” Chinese J of Cancer, 33(11):521-526.
- Zhang, W., Yan, L., Tong, Y. and Cheng, S.-Y. (2017) The US Chinese Anti-Cancer Association and the Asian Fund for Cancer Research Recognize Young Chinese Cancer Researchers with the 2016 USCACA-AFCR scholar awards” Chinese J of Cancer, 36(1):30
- Dixit KS, Raizer JJ. Meningioma. In: Dropcho EJ, editor. Medlink Neurology. San Diego: Medlink Corporation. Update from August 20, 2014 to November 2015.
- Dixit KS, Raizer JJ. Neurofibromatosis type 2. In: Dropcho EJ, editor. Medlink Neurology. San Diego: Medlink Corporation. Update from August 20, 2014 to November 2015.
- Nicholas MK, Lukas R. The Brain and Host Defense. Neuroimmune Biology. Volume 9. Immunologic privilege and the brain. Elsevier. 2010.
- Nicholas MK, Lukas R, van Besein K. Youmans Textbook of Neurological Surgery, 6th Edition. Section II: General Neurosurgery. Chapter 46. AIDS. 2011.
- Lukas RV, Chmura S, Nicholas MK. Management of central nervous system metastases from renal cancer. Emerging Cancer Therapeutics. 2011;2(1):157-168.
- Lukas RV, Gabikian P, Chmura S. Cancer Consult: Expertise for Clinical Practice. Chapter: Secondary CNS Tumors. Wiley-Blackwell Healthsciences. 2014.
- Nicholas MK, Collins J, Lukas RV. Youmans and Winn Neurological Surgery, 7th Edition. Section II: General Neurosurgery. AIDS. 2016.
- Lukas RV. Pocket: Expert Oncology Essentials. Chapter 30: Metastatic Brain Tumors and Malignant Meningitis. Clinical Oncology News. 2017. [In press]
- Lukas RV. Pocket: Expert Oncology Essentials. Chapter 1: Primary CNS Lymphoma. Clinical Oncology News. 2017. [In press]
- Lukas RV. Practical Neurology. 5th Edition. Chapter 53. Nervous System Complications of Cancer. 2017
- American Physicians Institute Neurology Board Review course, clinical vignettes and questions. 2008.
- Chicago Tribune, “Synthetic venom shows real promise on tumors” http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2008-09-28/features/0809241278_1_giant-yellow-israeli-scorpion-tm601-glioma. 9/28/2008.
- Tech Transfer E-News Blog, “Synthetic venom shows promise as brain tumor treatment”, http://techtransfercentral.com/2008/10/01/synthetic-venom-shows-promise-as-brain-tumor-treatment/. 10/1/2008.
- American Physicians Institute Neurology Board Review course, question set. 2009.
- UCNS Newsletter, “Program director highlight” https://www.ucns.org/globals/axon/assets/11223.PDF. 2011;11(1):5.
- Chicago Sun Times, “Pharmacy student, now grad, helps save father’s life”, http://www.roosevelt.edu/News_and_Events/News_Articles/2014/20140527-VeronicaJimenez.aspx. 5/27/2014.
- Medill Reports Chicago. “CTU prepares for contract negotiations without Karen Lewis” https://medillreports.com/2014/10/16/ctu-prepares-for-contract-negotiations-without-karen-lewis-2/. 10/16/2014.
- Lancet. 2015;16:e12. POT1: a genetic link for familial glioma. http://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lanonc/PIIS1470-2045(14)71178-7.pdf. Online first on 12/16/2014.
- CBS local news, “Wasp, scorpion venom could help in fighting cancer, researchers say”. http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/09/01/wasp-scorpion-venom-could-be-help-in-fighting-cancer-researchers-say/ 9/1/2015
- Clinical Oncology News interview, “New approaches to treat brain cancers raise hopes”. http://www.clinicaloncology.com/ViewArticle.aspx?d=Solid+Tumors&d_id=148&i=October+2015&i_id=1236&a_id=34003. 10/19/2015.
- Targeted Oncology (online video interview publication), “Dr. Rimas Lukas on the future of checkpoint inhibitors in recurrent glioblastoma” http://www.targetedonc.com/conference/2015-sno-annual-meeting/dr-rimas-lukas-on-the-future-of-checkpoint-inhibitors-in-recurrent-glioblastoma. 11/20/2015.
- Clinical Oncology News. “Vaccine may improve outcomes in glioblastoma patients.” http://www.clinicaloncology.com/Other-Solid-Tumors/Article/02-16/Vaccine-May-Improve-Outcomes-in-Glioblastoma-Pts/35298. 2/26/2016.
- Northwest Indiana Times. “Students rally around Crown Point teacher”. http://www.nwitimes.com/niche/get-healthy/health-care/students-rally-around-crown-point-teacher/article_ce435647-c932-58fb-9341-2a03e1d18054.html 3/10/2016.
- CBS Chicago local news, “Electrode cap helping keep man’s brain tumor at bay”.
- http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/04/11/electrode-cap-helping-keep-mans-brain-tumor-at-bay/. 4/11/2016.
- The Herald Palladium, “Electrifying brain cancer treatment”. http://www.heraldpalladium.com/features/electrifying-brain-cancer-treatment/article_ebfac555-c129-55d3-b840-7836e82c2155.html. 5/11/2016.
- Clinical Oncology News, “Rimas Lukas, MD, discusses his role in Essential Oncology.” http://www.clinicaloncology.com/Multimedia/Article/06-16/Rimas-Lukas-MD-Discusses-His-Role-In-Essential-Oncology/36784. 6/15/2016.
- Targeted Oncology, “What’s next for immunotherapy in GBM: IDO inhibitors, vaccines, and PD-L1 antibody combinations”. http://www.targetedonc.com/news/whats-next-for-immunotherapy-in-gbm-ido-inhibitors-vaccines-and-pdl1-antibody-combinations. 10/18/2016.
- OncLive, “Dr. Lukas on immunotherapy in glioblastoma.” http://www.onclive.com/onclive-tv/dr-lukas-on-immunotherapy-in-glioblastoma. 10/26/2016.
- Cure, “What’s next in glioblastoma treatment?” http://www.curetoday.com/articles/whats-next-in-glioblastoma-treatment. 11/10/2016.
- OncLive, “IDO inhibitors among immunotherapy strategies under study in glioblastoma.” http://www.onclive.com/publications/oncology-live/2016/vol-17-no-23/ido-inhibitors-among-immunotherapy-strategies-under-study-in-glioblastoma. 11/30/2016.
- American Physician Institute, Crush Your Boards series, multiple choice questions in Neuro-Oncology and Neurology. 2/2017.
- Medscape CME. “Management of glioblastoma: where have we been and where are we going?” round-table discussion with Martin van den Bent and Robert Prins. http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/877108. 3/24/2017
Clinical Oncology News, “Success of new modality in GBM may be relevant in other cancers” http://www.clinicaloncology.com/Other-Solid-Tumors/Article/05-17/Success-of-New-Modality-in-GBM-May-Be-Relevant-to-Other-Ca/41189. 5/17/2017